Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
AndyS

Forum Donor 2015
Reply with quote  #1 
How about this for madness

I completed my Tiger and SVA'd it and registered it in March this year. All the paperwork was handled by local DVLA office (Norwich). I handed in the original V5C for the donor vehicle and filled in form to say all unused parts had been scrapped.  Weeks later finally got new V5C with Tiger registration.

In Aug I got a tax disc reminder for donor vehicle!  I wrote to DVLA to explain that they should know that it no longer existed and had become the Tiger with a new reg.no. Heard no more about it.

I have now recieved a letter saying that I am to be fined for failing to tax or SORN donor vehicle. Have written again to explain situation, but DVLA claim I am liable because they have never sent a letter of confirmation!!!!
I'm damned if I am going to pay £80 for their incompetence.
Any views?

Andy
viatron

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #2 

tie tham all to the bumper of clarksons van!

gilesc

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #3 
Andy

Get in touch with Norwich (go there directly) and get them to sort it out on the spot. Don't accuse them of being incompetent as it tends to make them work slower - if that is possible...

AndyS

Forum Donor 2015
Reply with quote  #4 
Good advice Giles

I shall go and see them on Monday and be as charming as I can, through gritted teeth!

Andy
vji4058

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
I have just had the same happen to me.
Went through sva and the registration process but had a tax reminder for the donor for 1st Nov, rang DVLA who said send reminder back with a note and it would be sorted.
Remembered 3/4 Nov that had received nothing so sorn it, just had the sorn confirmation,
 phew just made it
AndyS

Forum Donor 2015
Reply with quote  #6 
Visited DVLA in Norwich today and they were very helpful and quite apologetic. It appears that the tax enforcement people don't understand kit cars!! As they put it 'sometimes the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing'.  Anyway Norwich promised to do their best to sort this mess out, before I get sent to prison.

Andy
alanwhale

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Some progress then Andy, more than I've had.
My now non existing donor has been on SORN since 2004. I sent the V5 and a confirmation from the breakers that they had scrapped the vehicle to my local DVLA. End of story, er no, they rubber stamped and dated the breakers paperwork and sent it and the V5 back to me. Tried again but sent it to Swansea this time it came back with a new V5!!  So now I SORN it on-line when the reminder comes but I suppose like you I will have to make the journey to a DVLA office before it gets resolved.

Alan
AndyS

Forum Donor 2015
Reply with quote  #8 
Hi alan

Its like being caught in some kind of loop from which there is no escape. I dread to think what could happen if this was something really serious

Andy
BobCat

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #9 
Ask to go to Court. Write them a letter explaining why you don't owe them any money etc and that if they can't explain what you have done wrong then let them explain it in court.

To keep on signing the sorn document could be seen as confusing. On one hand you say it has been scrapped on the other you are saying it is off the road but may return.

The debt collectors don't understand anything that doesn't involve you paying money. Going to court costs them so it tends to focus their minds.

You are not saying that you will not or can not pay. just that you have not had the cost reasonable explained.

By the way I have had no legal training what so ever so follow this course at you own risk. Just in my experience when people threaten court that is the last place they want to go. Ah the police are an exception to the rule! 
yellowcat2002

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #10 
Hi

I read somewhere recently I think it was in the Daily Telegraph motoring supplement in connection with someone who was having a problem with a change of owner notification. That if a letter is placed in the post it is deemed to be delivered to the recipient and the DVLA try to skate around this. I can't remember the Act  unfortunately but, it might be worth doing some research. When I worked for HMRC we IIRC relied on this piece of legislation to defend against claims that statutory notices and assessments were not received through the post.

I'd be tempted to make a formal complaint to the head of the DVLA setting out the facts with the threat to write to my MP. That always gets the case thoroughly reviewed.

Cheers

Haydn 
hearntd

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #11 
Not that it helps this situation but I have found a really helpful guy at the wimbledon office who has actually gone out of his way to help me with the registartion of my car.

If it helps his name is Jason, maybe if you try and give him a call he could help...

He may actually be the only helpful person in the DVLA????
vji4058

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #12 

My DVLA office is Peterborough and have never got to speak to anyone there. No number is listed except the Swansea one and they refuse to put you through and become very rude when you insist.

hearntd

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #13 
I had the same problem, I told a few white lies and they aranged a call back which to my shock I actually got.
Apparently they don't have incoming lines ????

All we need to remeber is that they are a Govenment body and as such by law thay are not to make any sense to anybody.....
gilesc

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcat2002

That if a letter is placed in the post it is deemed to be delivered to the recipient and the DVLA try to skate around this. I can't remember the Act  unfortunately but, it might be worth doing some research.

After a few DVLA related problems I now send stuff to them by recorded mail. They can't then deny they have received it.

Also use the same methods for any other important documents - although with Peterborough DVLA I just doorstep them as they are only a few miles away.
contaminated

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #15 

I'm lucky too, there is an office a 10 minute walk from my house. Interestingly one of the girls there moonlights behind the counter at my favourite Chinese takeaway!

AndyS

Forum Donor 2015
Reply with quote  #16 
Result!

Finally got a grovelling tear-stained apology from the DVLA. Heads have rolled, careers ended..........

OKAY so I didn't. However I finally got the acknowledgement letter  from the DVLA in Swansea recognising that the donor car has been scrapped and that I am no longer liable for it. All thanks to Norwich DVLA's intervention who were very helpful and obviously rather efficient on this occasion. Common sense prevailed.

Andy

cheshirecat

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #17 
Hi
Just a tip if you are going to personally visit ANY Local VRO, if you go at 9 am there is very little pressure or inclination to deal with you quickly. If you go at 3pm on a Friday you can watch the civil-servant-clock-watching-eye-twitch kick in and I believe they cant evict you if you are in there when the doors close

Supercat 2.0 Zetec Black Top
Bike Carbs + Megajolt
0 - Big Daft Grin in a blink.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club