Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
JimM

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 

Has anyone purchased doors from this seller ... made to measure .

eBay item number:

Chance to get doors that you can actually use and don't impact line of sight ...
If any good that is ....

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 

I cannot find this item. Can you check the number or post a link please. Maybe my mistake?

JimM

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Still on ebay ...

Copied number, pasted into ebay title and item appears ...

Note ... would be offering a lot less than £200. [biggrin]

Not sure what type of material is being used .... bottom of door appears to have ripples.
Soft Vinyl used ?

Thus question to group if anyone has used the supplier.

Doors-Ebay.jpg 

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
Have tried that, doesn't work. [confused]
Looks like vinyl. Haven't used this, looking for good doors, preferably with GRP (and affordable). Found carbon doors: http://www.cr-modelltechnik.de/7zuframe.htm, in Germany, but rather expensive.
JimM

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/kit-car-side-screens-doors-1-pair-recovered-or-made-to-measure/122886058587?hash=item1c9c94725b:g:-VsAAOSwq7JT-g1V

try this link

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
Just read ad in more detail .... does state Vinyl as material being used -

UPTO £200 PLEASE NOTE PRICE NEGOTIABLE DEPENDING ON WHAT YOU REQUIRE
BLACK VINYL SIDE SCREENS/DOORS (1 PAIR)
RECOVERED OR MADE TO MEASURE FOR ANY KIT CAR
PICTURES 1,2 AND 3 EXAMPLE OF DOORS FOR LOCOST 7
PICTURES 4 AND 5 EXAMPLE OF DOORS BEFOREAND AFTER RECOVERED FOR RBM GENTORY (FOR CUSTOMER)
PICTURES 6 AND 7 EXAMPLE BEFORE AND AFTER OF DOORS ON CANNARD DEAUVILLE IN NAVY BLUE (DONE FOR CUSTOMER)
PICTURE 8 EXAMPLE OF DOORS DONE FOR AN MK INDY (DONE FOR CUTOMER)
PICTURES 9 AND 10 ARE PHOTOS OF DOORS DONE FOR A CUSTOMER ON AN MK INDY
MY FRAMES ARE PAINTED AND MADE OUT OF 3MM X 15MM MILD STEEL
WITH STRAPS AND PRESS STUDS FOR STRAPS
PROTECTION FROM WIND AND RAIN
I WILL NEED ETHIER YOUR DOORS OR A PAPER TEMPLATE OF YOUR DOORS AT THE EXACT SIZE AND SHAPE YOU WANT THEM TO BE
PLEASE NOTE PRICE NEGOIABLE DEPENDING ON WHAT YOU REQUIRE
ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ASK

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Just a question for everyone wanting to fit doors to their cars why dont you talk to Laura at Tiger Racing???

They make the cars and all the parts that go with them like the doors and they will even fit them for you.

No sending paper templates and guessing and hoping the door is going to fit.

I know that this is going to sound like a broken record but if you enjoy your toys then perhaps you need to support the manufacturer so they can support you when you have that whoops moment in you car they are there to help you fix things.

The cheapest way isnt always the best.....

Gazza

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #8 

Gazza, please can you supply evidence to back up your statement "No sending paper templates and guessing and hoping the door is going to fit." in relation to the supplier that JimM has found on eBay?

Unless you have specific experience or evidence of this suppliers practice, then this statement is pure speculation based on nothing but an opinion "because they're not Tiger" [rolleyes]

Concerning getting the doors from Tiger, I would disagree that getting "off the shelf" doors is the way to go.  That is not to say not to go to Laura at Tiger (should that now not be Lorraine?), but there is a lot to be said for having parts made to match the specific dimensions of your car [thumb]

This is more important when you consider that the screen channel on the cat is not perpendicular to the chassis and, built to the dimensions in the manual means that one side is 1" longer than the other is.  The "off the shelf" doors from Tiger are the same length for both sides, so that means either one is too long, one is too short, or both are wrong - this is not exactly great for something "built to fit"!

If the builder squared up the screen against the chassis, depending upon whether they did it on the short or the long measurements, the doors may well be the right length, but equally, they could be wrong by as much as 1".  Again, this is not really what you want.

Therefore, I would suggest you actually get two or three quotes for custom made items to fit your car specifically.  That way, you know they should fit and you get a chance to benchmark the quoted costs.

[smile]

Carnoustiecat

Forum Donor 2015
Reply with quote  #9 
Can i point out that Jim already has a pair of Tiger doors, I know this because I sold them to him. The reason that he is thinking of getting a pair of doors made to measure is, like me, he finds the Tiger doors seriously reduce your visibility.

I purchased a pair of GBS Zero doors from a bloke on ebay who didn't fit them when he built his car (as new and never fitted) once fitted I found they gave much better visibility due to them being taller and longer and also have a larger window area. Still not as good as running without doors (I prefer the protection offered running with doors, personal choice) but definitely a vast improvement especially after fitting a pair of JK composite seat bolted directly to the floor, which means you are now sitting lower in the car, and are actually looking through the window rather than the frame.

Scott Photo0030.jpg 

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #10 
Carnoustiecat and all concerned,

You need to pass the comments back to Laura and Paul at Tiger Racing so they can adjust revise the parts that they make.

If people dont speak up how will they ever know.

I know that Jim and Paul are constantly changing things on the cars from the feedback and comments such as making the cars so a taller person has the leg room, wider areas for the seats so people that have grown a bit side ways can get in the cars. 

I have never had a Tiger with a Wind Screen or Side Screens fitted, and I bought my first car in 1999 and the current Tiger I have is the 4th one.

I have always used a aero screen on my cars as when I have been in 7 type cars in the rain, as much water seems to be on the inside of the wind screen as the outside to the point that you almost need wipers on the inside as well.

If you are happy to take your car over to Tiger Racing Laura will measure up, make and fit them for you.

Best Regards to all,

Gazza

Forum Donor 2015
Reply with quote  #11 
Gazza......some of us don't have the option of taking a run out to Tigers factory, I'm probably about an eight hour drive away, which would mean taking two days off work plus an overnight stop. Jim is pretty much the same, so driving is not an option, it would make for a very expensive pair of doors. The cost of fuel in itself would be huge, a round trip of about 900 miles at about 25 miles to the gallon (if i'm lucky) 

I have used Tiger on the odd occasion and found Laura very helpful, but for certain things it's just not viable. I would like nothing better than to just jump in my car and pay them a visit, but realistically it's not going to happen.

Scott

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #12 
I agree with Scott.
I have used Tiger many times in the past and always found them very helpful.
Laura supporting many orders over the years and Paul with advice over the phone.

However on the case of the doors, these were for a Tiger Cat which is no longer supported by Tiger. Its now an obsolete model and removed from there product list.
Design was sold off and new owner has also discontinued kit support.

The Cat has been around for many years and anyone who has used the side doors will have encountered the same problem. Looking to your right will almost always be in line with the top section of the door frame. You have to slide down in the seat to get a view through the window section. Also the rear of the door vertical frame inhibits your vision when at round-a-bouts etc.

There has been plenty of time to modify the door over the years when the Cat was in production at Tiger .... I'm sure this has already been feedback to Tiger.

I don't believe there would be much point in Tiger supporting a change to the design now.

And as Scott indicated taking a trip to visit Tiger is not feasible.

Jim

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #13 
Hi JimM and Carnoustiecat,

I have never had a Tiger Cat as my first Tiger was a Super 6 followed by R6's and R10.

It is true that Jim sold the Tiger Cat off to Southways a few years ago but I feel sure that if you were to contact them they would almost certainly be able to help you seeing as Southways are not providing support for the Tiger Cat.

I know a friend of mine has a Tiger Super 6 which ceased production some years ago but Tiger Racing are still able to help with parts and body work.

The only issue is the rear wings if they are damaged but you just fit the R6 rear arches.

As for getting 25 MPG I wish I could get something like that.... most times when I am out in my car I only get around 7 MPG and have a 9 gallon tank to be able to do a 40 minute race with the Magnificent 7 series.

Snetterton 24th September - 1.jpg 
How ever you use your car enjoys it.

Best Regards,

Gazza

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club