Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
bigkiltedwarrior

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,
Can anyone advise on what AMP wire I should run from the ignition to my alternator exciter? Is 8amp enough or should I go 16amp?

Thanks as always

S
TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #2 
The exciter circuit goes through the dashboard warning lamp and you would normally have something like a 4 or 5 watt filament lamp.

Back to physics, P = I V, therefore I = P / V

P = 4 and V = 12 so

I = 4 / 12 or 0.333 amps

Therefore 8 amp wire is more than enough.
bigkiltedwarrior

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #3 
Sorry, should have said, it is a 3 wire alternator. One big wire to the starter, 1 wire to the dash light and an ignition switched live to the exciter.
TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #4 
When the alternator is running, the current all passes through the large diameter wire to the starter.

The exciter creates a circuit through the warning light, therefore you shouldn't need any more than the current drawn by the warning light, so your 8 amp (8.75A?) wire should suffice.  However, there is nothing wrong with using a thicker wire if you wish.  FWIW my own custom built loom has a 17.5A wire, but only because it's what I happened to have spare with the right colours.
Chris_Xtreme

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkiltedwarrior
Sorry, should have said, it is a 3 wire alternator. One big wire to the starter, 1 wire to the dash light and an ignition switched live to the exciter.
Chris_Xtreme

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #6 
When I got my Xtreme the battery was always going flat. That was due to previous owner putting the exciter wire essentially straight to the battery, not switched. When i was working out what was causing the problem, I seem to recall it was constantly drawing 2 or 3amps. ( I just popped a multimeter in line to check).

I have now put it on the main beam circuit to get it switched. So I would say 10amp wire is fine.

It does not excite via the dash light.
Chris_Xtreme

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #7 
Sorry you said 8 or 16. I'd go for 16 just to be safe as I guess you are laying in your loom. You can always reduce the fuse to make it safer.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club