Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
ejt7777

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi guys,

I've searched through past forum topics on this, but haven't found the answer to my query. Any help would be much appreciated.

My expansion tank is a standard plastic one which has been modified to have an additional inlet:
- The lower tank outlet goes straight to the bottom of the radiator
- The outlet just below the filler cap is an overflow
- The additional inlet takes water from the top of the radiator on the driver's side via a water rail mounted above the exhaust manifold

It's a standard Pinto engine.

Looking at the Tiger manual (and shop), the expansion tank normally only has two connections, and the outlet just below the filler cap is either plumbed into the thermostat housing if a tee is present or is blanked off.

My car loses coolant pretty regularly from the overflow. Any thoughts please? Where should the additional hose from the top of the radiator go, if not to the expansion tank?

Thanks
Ed

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
Ed
What seems.to be the overflow should be connected to the thermostat housing. See below. Reference to burton.
https://www.burtonpower.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/dbee39002c3ed3c5438224ee0989910f/F/T/FT1074_Thermostat_Housing.jpg.
The outlet at the bottom of the tank feeds the bottom of the rad. Get a new expansion tank.
Alec

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
I should have asked do you a heater connected and if so is that what the water rail is for?
The heater if fitted is connected to the the water pump and the inlet manifold. If not fitted just blank them off.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Alec,

Thanks for this, much appreciated.

I've had a look at my thermostat housing, and it doesn't have that bleed take off as part of it. 

Assuming a new expansion tank and thermostat housing, the solution is to blank off the current additional outlet (not the top hose!) on the top of the radiator, take a feed from the thermostat housing to the expansion tank top tee, and that's job done (?)

A separate question please - I currently have a standard plastic tank with the blue plastic cap, and there's no radiator cap with a pressure relief fitted as part of the system. Should the replacement tank have a standard radiator cap to allow it to blow off steam if required, or is it a fully closed, pressurised system?

I don't have a heater, but have kept the inlet manifold outlet pipe returning to the water pump, as it has been really useful with a bleed valve installed to get air out of the system.

Cheers
Ed

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Hi Ed,
Not sure about your radiator to be honest do you have 4 outlets?
If you go to the Download section on this website the cat Manuals ,section 12 describes what to do if you don’t have the thermostat housing with the pipe outlet.
In my setup there is no pressure cap.

Alec

EDIT: Link added to manual section 12: https://www.tigerownersclub.co.uk/downloads/manuals/cat/12_engine_and_gearbox.pdf

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
Hi Alec,

Yes, my rad has 4 outlets for some reason: top and bottom hoses, bottom inlet from expansion tank and top outlet (currently back to expansion tank), in addition to the temperature sender.

I had a look at the build manual - thanks. I've sourced a thermostat housing with a bleed take-off on eBay for £12.99 rather than the £60+ Burton were going to charge, so will give that a go.

Cheers
Ed

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
The standard Tiger tank has just 3 so not sure what to advise, but going for the new thermostat will require blanking off one on your rad.
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club