Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Howdy all

Just out of curiosity, does the heat generated by the exhaust manifold have a detrimental effect on the clutch cable? Even with a bracket to keep it off the manifold, it still looks like it’ll be getting very warm around it.
althecate1

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi,
On a pinto the plastic melts a little and the the outer cable gets a bit crunchy but it works, the alternative is the longer Cosworth Sierra cable that bends up near the front of the engine bay.
Alec

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Good info thanks Alec :)
daytona

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
Another option is to put in a hydraulic clutch. I have a Zeytec/type 9 combination with a pull hydraulic cylinder and it works well.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
The more I learn and spend time with the car the more I’ll be looking at upgrades like this, thanks for the info Daytona.
RichardMills

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
When I built my Cat about 18 years ago the standard cable went between the pipes without actually touching them. I wrapped a short length of the cable with the tape type product which is used for exhaust pipes (and I also used lagging on the pipes themselves), and that original cable is still in use and OK. 
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Great thanks for the info Richard
Dimbit

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
My headers are wrapped and it's fine

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #9 
Thanks Dimbit
RichJudge

New User - Not A Club Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Hi,
When i first got my Tiger. The clutch would start to drag after about an hour of driving, such that you could not select reverse, first and some time second gear.
If i manually forced extra adjustment into the clutch then it would slip.
My diagnosis was that the cable marginally expanding due to the heat from the exhaust manifold. 
Wrapping the exhaust and also using some silicone covered glass-fibre pipe insulation on the clutch cable has cured the problem.
Hope it helps.
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #11 
Great info thanks mate
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club