Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
chrism

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
I'm looking to replace my silencer prior to track day in June .
I've been researching this on the many forums (including this one) and I'm not really seeing the sort of answer I'd expect.
In the day job if we were looking for a silencer to meet a certain noise spec (maybe 95dba at 1m) we would start with the raw exhaust noise specs from the engine manufacturer and the back pressure requirements and then get the silencer supplier to design an appropriate silencer.
This doesn't seem to happen with kit cars, it seems to be a very hit and miss process.
So a couple of questions…
1. Is this approach OTT for a lightly modified engine?
2. Does anyone know of the detailed approach being done in practise?
3. If not what are the favourite rules of thumb for selection of silencers (I have a slightly modified 2L Pinto)?
Thanks in advance
Chris 
warboys

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #2 
you will not find the level of technical input you are looking for, there are too many variables.

My advice is to go for a repackable silencer, select the largest one that will fit, physically and also buy a decibel reducer, just in case it is still too loud. People don't realise how often silencers need repacking. There are some good modern packing materials on the market now too. Acoustafil is clever, it expands with heat and fills the can.
Gazza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
My advice is to get the biggest and lightest re-packable silencer you can fit on your car as the noise limits at tracks are falling all the time.

Doninton, Castle Combe, Brands Hatch have almost become no go zones for any 7 type car with any get up and go.

The issue you will have with a Pinto engine is that the exhaust exit will point straight towards the "Drive by Meters" located around the track, which means that even if you car passes the static test you can still get Black Flagged.

Many of the Racing Salon Cars at Castle Combe have a elbow fitted to the tail pipe that they can point in a different direction to get around this.

I do have a complete Duratec Exhaust System that I took off my car as I wanted bigger header pipes that exits to the rear of the car.

Paul at Tiger Racing might be able to supply something like this as it is a Tiger System....

It is for sale if any one is interested [smile]

Gazza

IMG_3703.JPG 

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks guys, helpful replies......especially the drive by noise meter comment!
Chris
chrism

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 

Just picking up this thread again - I've bought the large repackable silencer from Tiger and it has come with two sturdy clamps.
My new questions are:-
1. Are the bolting tabs on the clamps supposed to met as you nip them up - mine have about 20 mm of separation?
2. I've seen images of these type of clamping bands with some sort of black 'liner' I'm guessing this is to stop scratching and allow a firm grip from the clamp without distorting the silencer. What is this material and where could I get it?
3. Due to the proximity of the silencer to the body work I can realistically only fit one support band - silencer doesn't feel very heavy but I'm a bit worried about the strain on the manifold bolts at the other end! Any thoughts on whether one is enough?
4. Does anyone have any pictures of this sort of set up on their car they could share to help me figure out the best bracketry arrangement?

Thanks in advance
Chris

Carnoustiecat

Forum Donor 2015
Reply with quote  #6 
Only one clamp used on mine. I made an alloy bracket, bolted it to the lower chassis rail....drilled a hole, fitted a bobbin style rubber mount and attached the band style clamp round the silencer and  onto the bobbin mount........done few thousand miles like this now and never had any problems.

Scott

006.jpg  010.jpg 

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks Scott, does your clamp band meet when you nip them up?
Mine don't so it gives me an fixing issue otherwise I'd probably do just like you
I wonder if they are correct from Tiger?
Carnoustiecat

Forum Donor 2015
Reply with quote  #8 
Hi Chris......yes the clamp on mine closes up...well almost......even had room to put a protective self adhesive rubber strip on the inside of the clamp. Sounds like the clamps you have might be for a smaller diameter silencer. Might be worth a call to the good people at Tiger, if it's one of their silencers they should be able to help, any dealings I've had with them, they've always been very helpful.

Scott

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #9 
I've just measured the clamp and the silencer diameters - silencer 15.5cm, clamp (fully closed up) 15cm
Sort of explains that bit anyway, I'll call Tiger tomorrow!
Thanks
Chris
Gazza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #10 
Hi Chris,

See attached the pictures of my old tiger racing silencer and how it was fitted, with a bracket welded to the front roll cage and another plate welded to the lower chassis rail by the seat.

If you dont have a full cage you could also weld another bracket t the lower chassis rail in the footwell just below the scuttle.
IMG_4250.JPG

IMG_4249.JPG 

IMG_4248.JPG

DSCN0173.JPG

IMG_4246.JPG

IMG_4247.JPG           

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #11 
Thanks Gazza, helpful pictures
Chris
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club