Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
weavo56

Forum Donor 2015
Reply with quote  #1 
Had MOT and I have play in both top BJ and a little in one bottom BJ . Ordered ALL parts from Tiger Racing so no problems there .  Not sure how to do the jobs , bottom is the complete arm  I know . For the top do I take the hub off first so I can get up inside the tube for the top BJ ?
I have the front all poly bushed  can they all  go back in to the lower arm ?
Looking at this pic I will have to remove the lower wishbone from the car , right ?
top-BJ.jpg 

Cheers  Graham

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 

OK Graham I haven't actually had to change the ball joints but I have replaced the lower track control arm bushes (with poly). 

There isn't a lower wishbone as such. After disconnecting the TCA from the chassis & the hub it's just a matter of removing the nut securing it to the end of the radius arm. I don't know whether Tiger will be supplying the new TCA complete with poly bushes, standard bushes or none at all. Presumably, you should be able to re-install your current ones if you wish but perhaps it's an opportunity to renew(?).

Looking at mine, I would have thought that it's possible to get at the top ball joint nut via a socket extension inside the strut tube without having to remove the hub. I suppose it could be argued that as the top & bottom joints are being done you may as well remove the hub but this means disconnecting the rack arm and having to support the brake pipe etc. Your choice. 

Cheers & good luck,

Michael.

Spent it on fast women and loose cars.
Dick

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Yep top joint removal is as Michael has said socket up the tube
weavo56

Forum Donor 2015
Reply with quote  #4 
OK thanks guys , yer I ment the arm with the ball joint on it . The TCA  is the part going into the arm ?
Can you stop the top BJ from turning when you undo the nut  or will it be tight on the taper ?

G

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Hi Graham,

The Track Control Arm (TCA) is presumably what you've ordered from Tiger. The angled piece coming from further back on the chassis is variously referred to as the radius arm or tie bar.

As with all ball joints, they can usually be persuaded to remain tight in the taper with a 5lb lump hammer!

Michael.

weavo56

Forum Donor 2015
Reply with quote  #6 
Oh  right , yes the TCA with the ball joint on the end .[confused]
cheers bud .

Graham

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Are the track control arms just sierra ones and what do the top ball joints come from
overdriver

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
The standard track control arms are ex Sierra but Tiger did offer their own fabricated version as an option.

I presume (but stand to be corrected) that all ball joints are also Sierra with the possible exception of the ball joints on the rack as this is ex Cortina. Anyone know for sure?

Michael.

Kerrsco22

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #9 
Cool I heard somewhere the top ball joints were transit
vji4058

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #10 
The top joint is in the top rocker arm and is in effect the swivel for the steering.
The joint is a Transit track rod end so just go into your local motor factors and ask for Quinton Hazell part QR1408RHT. It's the same number both sides.
overdriver

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #11 
There you go. More useful data to be filed. Good stuff.

Michael.

Kerrsco22

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #12 
Excellent thanks for the info
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club