Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
chrism

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Apologies for raising this old chestnut.....

My E1 (2L pinto) has an original Tiger rad in it but as I've have had the engine out and done a few bits I think I'll take the opportunity to replace the radiator.

Polo ones seem to be the favourite based on most posts but for me this will mean some re-plumbing i.e. flow and return on the same side; which I'd rather not do!

Tiger do a straight swap alloy rad and an uprated one too.
The old rad seemed to allow the car to get too hot on track days - what's the feeling on / experience of the two Tiger ones?

Or are there other mainstream rads that have the same (ish) connections that anyone has experience of?
Thanks
Chris
Dick

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
Well before someone comes along  with the standard answer for every post that ever gets ask on here and tells you to go to Tiger. You could try do something different from the normal (is that not why we own a kitcar) and make something work or build something different for yourself. We have used the alloy Honda civic ek radiators on lots of different kit cars with great results. They are cheap and you can get a 3 row one for under £100 on ebay with a bit of time and effort you can get them in with a nice size fan .
jannick

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #3 
Hi chris,

I put a polo one in my cat with pinto.

The plumbing change was fairly straightforward using standard hose and fan parts from cbs online.

Shortly after that, i got stuck in a 1 hour traffic jam in 35 degree C summer heat.

I was toasted, but the temp gauge behaved perfectly normal.

So much improved cooling over the tiger rad, which i had already modified with a better core section after it started leaking. This would go over 100 degree c after some minutes in busy summer traffic.

Regards,

Jannick
Dimbit

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
I switched the tiger rad to the polo one. Can you better describe the obstacle you're facing? The plumbing was trivial on mine. I might even have some photos somewhere. Happy to poke a camera in the nosecone sometime in daylight if it would help you.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks Dimbit & jannick.
Bought a polo one in the end, thought I'd be clever (or greedy) and get a big one - its now a very tight fit!
Just fabricating the brackets and then its time to sort out the flexible hoses.

Actually quite good fun and a bit of a mental challenge although its so cold in the garage I'm only doing about an hour at a time before I cant feel my fingers :-)
fatcat

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #6 
Hello Chrisim.

I took my old tiger radiator to Avonmouth radiators and they compleatly revamped it I think they only used the top and bottom and fixed any faults with the parts and kept it the same size but far more efficient. They also put in a bleed plug.
Far easier than updating the hoses.
Not sure where you are you may be worth phoning around if not send it in.
Hope this helps.
Iang

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #7 
Hi All, 
Just damaged my Radiator dropped something on it, [mad] I have a Cat E1 with a 2.0L Pinto which Polo Rad do you fit?  Does it have provision for a fan switch etc? Thanks for any help/Advice, 
chrism

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
Yes it has a standard tapping for a fan switch, not sure what rad I bought but it was too big so had some fun fitting it!
Chris
Iang

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #9 
Thanks Chris, I will double check the sizes to hopefully not have the same issue [smile]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club