Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
Blooka

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Bought my cat e1 just before lockdown so not even driven it on the the road yet [mad]
i was just wondering looking at the height of my sump it is only about 2 and 1/2 inch from the ground is this normal on these? If so is it worth fitting some kind of sump guard.

cheers all
Dave
vji4058

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
They are very low. A few years back on the way to a show on a bumpy road caught the sump and damaged it and also knocking the sump plug open. Dumped all the oil but managed to stop in time to save the engine.
To gain a bit of extra height have raised the front a bit. 
This was achieved by raising main suspension tubes up on the hub clamps so are right to the bottom. The other angles such as camber will need adjusting as well.
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Hi David, yeah mine’s that low too.
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe
Hi David, yeah mine’s that low too.

My sump has a really heavy duty piece of steel welded to the bottom which I can see has taken some abuse in the past!
Blooka

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
cheers guys looks like im gonna have to be real carefull then, hope it goes over the speed bumps near my home
Dave
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooka
cheers guys looks like im gonna have to be real carefull then, hope it goes over the speed bumps near my home
Dave

I have to straddle my speed bumps. Works a treat 😁👌
Blooka

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
cheers
ill keep that in mind thats if i ever get chance to get out in it[biggrin]
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooka
cheers
ill keep that in mind thats if i ever get chance to get out in it[biggrin]

Hang in there mate, hopefully not too long! 🤩👌
TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #9 
The side rails should be 4"/100mm from the ground.

If they are lower you can raise up the spring platforms and/or extend how much of the upper section with the front leg with the wing stays sticks out of the front hub - it should be 95mm from the top of the hub to the top of the leg.  Please note that Tiger originally said it was 95mm from the top of the hub to the centre line of the ball joint, but this has been proven to be a miscommunication in the description.

After that, you can raise the engine using thicker engine rubber mounts and/or a 5mm or so spacer either side of the existing rubber mounts - anything thicker might mean there's not enough thread for the nuts.

If you still want more clearance then you can make newer engine mounts.

Bear in mind that raising the engine too much will mean you need to increase the height of the nosecone and bonnet.
Rob5301

Forum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Mine is 2 and 1/4", I welded a 1/4" plate on the bottom with an upturn at the front to prevent any digging in if  was to hit something.[biggrin]
JT

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #11 
Mine is 95mm from top of hub to centre of ball joint.
Id like to raise mine a bit what are you refiring to when you say leg?
Blooka

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #12 
cheers for info guys
my chassis is 4 1/2 from floor I may try to add spacers to engine mounts, if not may just weld plate on sump as  Rob5301 said and drive real careful over bumps.
thanks again all [smile]
TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #13 
The leg is the tube (with tabs for the cycle wing stays) that inserts into the top of the hub.
Blooka

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #14 
Hi All again
just measured my front strut as TOC said and the distance on mine is 95 mm from hub to centre of track rod
i take it this is wrong and should i alter it to 95mm from top of hub to top of leg then and will this give me slightly more ride height
just wanna make sure i understand this
thanks again
 hub.jpg 

JT

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOC_Admin
The leg is the tube (with tabs for the cycle wing stays) that inserts into the top of the hub.
JT

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #16 
Ok thanks
Rob5301

Forum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
i don't want to put a dampener on things, just be careful.

If you are increasing the ride height, don't be tempted to extend too much, there is a risk of the leg working out of the hub. The leg should be locked to the hub by a 4mm bolt and nut. Drill through the leg and hub at final position then install bolt and nut. (SVA requirement)
TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #18 
Extending the insert to 95mm from the top of the hub to the top of the insert is perfectly safe and the bottom of the insert is still below the clamp in the hub.

I'm sorry, but putting in a 4mm bolt is going to offer you absolutely nothing.  The diameter of the inner part of an M4 thread is nominally 3.3mm.  If the main clamping bolt were to loosen enough for the bolt to become responsible for securing the insert into the hub then the forces involved would just shear this bolt in half.

riber3

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #19 
You can buy a shortened sump kit from Tiger and other places depending on what you are running. I also had issues with ride height and we all suffer from the dreaded speed bumps etc. I still added an extra guard for more protection as it is still easy to get caught out now and again
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club