Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
Bennyz

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #51 
good job, well done!!

hearntd

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #52 
Thanks, 7 months on and I couldn't be happier with the car, it's been too France twice and done a few other runs (not as many as I would like though)...

There is a vast improvement in fuel economy, the handling and as for the power..... big smiles!!

I have also just added a full roll cage (from Tiger in the end) which I am really pleased with too, it's definitely not the same car that was IVA'd a few years back that's for sure.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #53 
by the way, is your Cat a street legal car or just a track day car??
did you change the breaks?

benny
hearntd

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #54 
I only ever use it on the road, I plan to get it on the track at some point but time is never a great friend of mine.

I'm still running the standard vented sierra front discs but, I have recently got a new sierra rear setup with disc hubs and bolt on shafts, I plan to recon this and then change all the breaks.

Here is a current picture form the recent Ralley in France [51]

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #55 
Wow...

Great job, well done

Cheers
kenjohn

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #56 
Hi Trevor
Going off topic if you don't mind. Can see the headphones, what intercom system are you using?
John
hearntd

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #57 
@ Bennyz, the Ralley was a road book Ralley. I have done about 4 or 5 now there are some wonderful roads and cars on them, we normally go over on the Saturday have a blast around France/Belgium then get out for the Ralley on the Sunday. Haven't tried Germany yet....
There are people with some serious Power etc (Dick has a Cosworth Turbo lump in his) I don't believe he has done to much to the chassis (only to fit all the kit in [biggrin]), I have the V6 gearbox form the Pinto engine so this should be good for the power, and he cooling didn't need to much work the only thing that it has cut out is the heater matrix form inside the car (not much use really [cool]). As I mentioned I will be changing the breaks but bearing in mind the ones that are on there are designed to stop a sierra weighing a fair bit more than the cat I should be OK.

@John, I have the Terratrip Pro. I got it with the full face helmet headsets and then added the ones you see in the picture this year, I think I got it from here https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/s/racewear-helmets/intercoms/terratrip. it is a good kit for the cost, maybe not the best but then a lot of the other cost a fair amount more, I've used it for 3 Raslley's not and not had any issues.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #58 
If germany, do it for the -nordschleife- [wink]
There are many days when is no racing, you can drive with your private car on the ring.

and if you´re driving too fast on the normal road, it is not soo expensive[biggrin]

But the rules in england are amazing
hearntd

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #59 
So a bit of an update on things.... A year has passed since the change over and all is good with the engine, that is until I went for the MOT... and the bloody clutch cable snapped on the drive [mad]. I managed to get it swapped and still got the MOT but this was enough for me and I have now decided to swap out for a Hydrophilic system.

After some looking around I found I have the RWD bell housing, and this will take both cable or hydrophilic. Also my peddle box, an OBP univerasl is easily changed form cable to hydrophilic as well.

I ordered the bits from RWD these are a slave cylinder, and an adaptor plate for the back of the bell housing.
Also on the list was the new pedal, master cylinder, reservoir etc. from OBP along with a few extra fixtures and fitting.

[20140404_184130] 
Out came the pedal box, and I separated the engine from the gear box (I now wish I'd have taken the whole thing out and worked on it out of the car as I would have had more room!!)

well the pedal box was very easy to alter with just a couple of split pins etc.

[20140420_130317] 

unfortunately when it came to fitting the slave cylinder this was a different matter. basically it didn't fit over the output shaft form the gearbox.. it turned out I had to cut the cover of the shaft down see before and after below.

Before:
[20140426_150348] 

After:

[20140426_152502] 
The next pahse is to get it all back together...

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #60 
Looking good. Also a good excuse to change the oil in the gearbox!
hearntd

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #61 
Well that put up a fight!!!!!

As it turned out I had a Raceline flywheel and clutch setup and an RWD bellhousing... these 2 do not mix well (as Pete and Mark found out too). I ended up by buying a new Raceline Bell housing and slave cylinder to match the clutch setup, this was the best idea and once fitted I took her out for a little drive at the weekend....

Although I was wondering if it would be worth it after all the trouble I had I can safely say YES it was worth it!!! I've just got to cut the input shaft form the master cylinder down a little to move the pedal closer to the engine but the clutch is lovely and soft and made gear changing a real treat [biggrin][biggrin][biggrin] 

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #62 
Well done Trevor! Look forward to seeing it at the next meeting. At least the weather has improved for you.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #63 
I would like to understand why you went for hydraulics, as the simple cable seems more reliable/ less sensitive for heat??

hearntd

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #64 
Martin, I'm hearing that... hope to have the car there, be good to see your new wheels too.

Joscorstjens, The cable always seems to be the week link in the chain (to me that is). I've already had 2 snap on me, the last one only lasted a year and I wouldn't say it had a lot of driving in that year... As I had a pedal box and bellhousing that would take hydraulic I thought it made sense to make the change. Plus I was going to do it when I did the original conversion but just never did it.
My thought process was that the cable stretches being so close to the exhaust and it always seemed a little tight since fitting the Duratec, plus most of the people running Duratec are now use hydraulic and as that's what it runs in stock format it felt right.
And as it turns out the new setup is nice and light which is great for my rather dodgy knee [wink]

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2018 Tiger Owners Club