Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
hearntd

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #26 
David, Thanks,I sure am!! all paid up now so I WILL get the engine in and sorted...

Pete, Blog looking good so is the car 

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #27 
Well Lost half the day today so not quite as much achieved as I was hoping. however in the couple of hours I had I was able to trial fit the engine.

It was a great site to see it going in and even better to see it fit, there were a couple of issues that this did highlight (this was the reason for the trial), firstly the bracket at the back of the new gearbox was not the same as the old (i hadn't noticed this before), I was able to quickly swap them over an this now fitted OK. I will have to fit the normal water block at the rear of the engine as the swapped one will not allow for the hoses to fit. and lastly the drives side mounting plate is slightly to narrow to take the new mounts so I will have to get a plate welded on (on that does anyone know a mobile welder that could pop over and do this??).

The engine has now been removed to allow me to finish the loom alterations and get the new fuel lines in.

A few pictures of today's achievements...

Attached Images
jpeg DSC01850.JPG (229.69 KB, 119 views)
jpeg DSC01853.JPG (253.45 KB, 129 views)
jpeg DSC01855.JPG (247.24 KB, 126 views)
jpeg DSC01857.JPG (228.36 KB, 106 views)

martinq357

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #28 
Looks like a good fit Trevor, shame about the engine mount.

Can't believe how much shorter it is in the engine bay!

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #29 
I could pop over with my welder, and you could have a go Trevor.
hearntd

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #30 
Martin, It's a massive amount of room compared to the old pinto (almost enough for another engine ) I think it's a combination of things including a shorter bell housing. the amazing thing is the Webbers look like they line up perfectly with the hole in the bonnet too 

Gary, thanks for the offer, I actually have a welder I bought a while ago but I didn't really want my first job to be something so, well....crustal!!! I have somebody that can come over and do this for me I just need to arrange a time (sometime in the next week if it goes to plan).

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #31 
Trevor,

thought you were  used to grounding out the sump.
just be a different tiger fail
pjay

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #32 
Hi Trev - apologies missed your post with the engine going in. Looks good and certainly does give more space, the Duratec is quite a bit shorter than the Pinto.

Let me know if I can doing anything to help especially with startup.

Have you considered a modifying the engine mount instead if changing the chassis plate? Just a thought since this is what I planned to do if the Tiger mounts hadn't turned out to work okay on my S6. Does depend on the thickness of the chassis plate vs the engine mount.
hearntd

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #33 
Hi Pete, I have considered extending the engine bracket but it might be a bit more work than needed, although I have not completely ruled it out yet

I'll give you a shout if I need a hand when starting her up, I've got a lot to put back together first though seeing as there isn't much left on the car at the moment (most of it's in the conservatory )

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #34 
Well I have had a little more progress this last week or so.

I have today picked up the modified fuel tank, this now holds the new fuel pump unit the guys fitted a new fixing ring into the tank and a holding plate/ring that goes over the top of the pump to create a seal  and hold the pump in. Some nice work (although it took a bit longer than I would have liked).

I have now run the new fuel lines in and fitted these up high in the tunnel, along with the re-vamped wiring loom, this is not quite finished but the front is now ready for the engine and ECU to go in, as part of this the ECU runs the new fuel pump so I cut this wire back from the old loom ready to slice onto the ECU loom, there is also a battery negative running back for this as well. a few new wires have been added for additional charging points and the intercom system at the rear and warning light from the ECU to the dash.

After a conversation with Tiger they are making some new engine mount plates for me that are 1" longer so this will minimize the amount of alterations to the chassis, I hope to get these for the weekend so that the engine can go in and see if there is any need to add to the chassis.

The next stage will be to finish of the rear of the loom and get the new tank all lined up, then it's just down to the final stages.
Some pics below of the new loom and lines and the new tank and pump.

Attached Images
jpeg SAM_3207.JPG (230.07 KB, 53 views)
jpeg SAM_3216.JPG (168.83 KB, 63 views)
jpeg SAM_3217.JPG (178.87 KB, 63 views)
jpeg SAM_3221.JPG (231.96 KB, 65 views)
jpeg SAM_3222.JPG (185.81 KB, 61 views)

pjay

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #35 
Looking good. Sounds like a result in terms of Tiger doing a variant of the engine mounts for you.

Will Tiger make those available as Cat E1 Duratec mounts for other people who might want to convert?
hearntd

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #36 
A definite result, and only £10 more than the standard ones, so a bargain too!!!

Once I am happy that these will be exactly what is needed I will let Tiger know, the only issue will be if people are changing form Zetec then the chassis plates might be different to Pinto ones. 

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #37 
Well some good progress over the last week or so. the engine is now in and wired up. Tiger manufactured some longer engine mounts that are perfect so the engine now sits on the original plates.

One of the things I was a little worried about was the fuel level sender as it is not the normal resistance of the ETB ones, so this was one of the first things I checked after a quick check of the systems and no fuses blew which was a nice surprise.... well another pleasant surprise was beheld with the car powered up I held the wires in the sender and at empty my digi-dash showed empty and at full again it showed 100% so I let gravity pull the sender down and the dash displayed almost exactly were the float was (1 worry off the list).

When fitting clutch cable I had a bit of an issues it turned out that the sump over lapped the hole on the bell-housing so it was stopping the cable from passing through nicely, after much mucking about and trying to come up with a suitable plan I ended up by drilling the hole out a little and thie worked a treat.

I have been trying to track down a drive belt of the correct length which has been a bit of trial and error but I believe that I have now found the correct one 13506PK (a full trial tonight).

I have discovered a few minor issues with some of the plugs on the alpha ecu that have been a bit man handled, these have been order and should be swapped out with not to much trouble.

I have manged to get the lambder boss welded into the exhaust and fitted collector and down pipes, however I have now noticed that the pipe doesn't line up with the silencer anymore so I have got to try and work out how to bend/alter this (pic below)

I have ordered some oil form Opie and the last few connections on the cooling system are now ready to go so the next stage is to get some life into the engine and see how it goes.

Attached Images
jpeg SAM_3257.JPG (186.80 KB, 73 views)
jpeg SAM_3259.JPG (154.60 KB, 74 views)
jpeg SAM_3260.JPG (211.12 KB, 90 views)
jpeg SAM_3262.JPG (205.60 KB, 93 views)
jpeg SAM_3265.JPG (181.28 KB, 80 views)

hearntd

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #38 

After a week of not being able to do anything due to a bad back, I got home a little earlier today and I thought to myself that as I am working this weekend I will try and get a little done on the car this evening. only a couple of small things like fit the fuel pump and wire it up, fit the last couple of hose clips and fill with some fluids... I suddenly realized that it was actually in a point were I could see if it would turn over and maybe even start.....

Well the first time it didn't actually start as I had the coil connectors the wrong way round but once I turned them round it burst into life . no obvious leeks and it seemed quite smooth, the oil pressure was about 95 seems a little high but then I'm used to the Pinto so probably not. The water was not running back to the header (which needs to be fitted permanently) but again I realized I'm used to the pinto with no thermostat so again this seems to make sense (please correct me if I'm wrong)

So now just to sort a couple of small problems, the battery charge light is not working, the throttler is not resting down fully so it's running a little high, the fuel tank need fitting correctly and just put everything back together including the exhaust, so about a day or so then I should be able to get it on the ground and see how it goes.

Now I need to lye down as even those few small things have made my back bad again  but it was worth it 

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #39 
Well done Trev!
DJT

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #40 
Good work Trevor. Hope to see your handiwork out on a run soon.
pjay

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #41 
Coil pack pics as requested:

Attached Images
jpeg DSC05279-C.jpg (122.99 KB, 40 views)
jpeg DSC05280-C.jpg (132.00 KB, 46 views)

hearntd

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #42 
OK, so a bit of am update as I've had a few delays over the last couple of weeks.

I have fitted a sump guard (pics to follow) I've also ended up buying a new super cat rear end from the boys at SSC, as it seemed like the right thing to do whist I had the old one off and I wanted to fit the bigger wheels and tyres.

Just as I was about to fit the rear end I noticed a small leak from the tank, so everything came back off and the tank was drained and cleaned out and taken back to the shop for a quick repair, fortunately this was done in a day.

I have also had some issues with the engine, I was running it up to check the cooling system and found that I had plumbed it incorrectly, some looking around and I found the solution again I will post a picture up of how I now have it configured.

Then all of a sudden I was unable to get it running again, I knew the coil pack had a dodgy output so I swapped this for a spare one I had but still no luck, I was worried about the firing order hence the picture from Pete. As I was unsure the history of this coil pack I thought it was time to buy a new one, I also called the guy's at webcon who once again were very helpful and suggested a good way to test the plugs and leads, this was to strap the body's of plugs 1 and 4 together 2 and 3 together and turn the engine over the 2 sets of plugs should spark. So tonight I did this and found that the new plugs that I had fitted had failed (not a happy bunny), so fitted the old ones back and then bang the engine was back in action.

Now I have the buzz back and I will be calling the MOT shop in the morning and getting booked in for Saturday, so the next couple of nights I will be putting some late nights in to get it finished.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #43 
Pictures of Sump Guard and cooling layout as mentioned.

Attached Images
jpeg duratec_cooling_layout.jpg (27.00 KB, 81 views)
jpeg SAM_3267.JPG (250.91 KB, 108 views)
jpeg SAM_3273.JPG (190.78 KB, 94 views)

DJT

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #44 
Nice work Trevor.  Is that the Raceline sump?  With that guard looks like you are all ready for the bumpy roads on April's rallye in France.  Starting to get excited again now.  
JTskips

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #45 

looks like your just about done, it may be nothing but have you drilled the small valve out of the crank breather yet  , dont no if its critical but them little things aren't so little when its all put together,

hearntd

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #46 
Yep almost done, in fact MOT booked for this Saturday as a way to force me to get it done  

Easy answer is no to the valve, but if it is the one I'm thinking of then the hose is connecting to the weber TB's and I believe that they need this in place (scratching head and worrying a little now??? and about to go and grab the manual) 

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #47 
sorry never looked , mines on carbs , looks well , good luck with the test
hearntd

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #48 
Oh Bugger!!! just been over the car front to back to make sure all is tight for tomorrow.... just went to turn it over and the battery is dead (obviously took a beating when I kept trying with the faulty plugs)

Now I'm worried if I'm even going to get to the test tomorrow , hopefully the neighbors won't mind me having a quick tinker later tonight once I've got some juice in the battery !!

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #49 
Well at about 10 pm last night it all fell into place, it turned out that the tps wires were crossed and this was confusing the ecu. Fortunately the alpha manual gives a very good set up process to calibrate the tps. After some fine tweeting (using an old battery), I thought it it would be worth trying to fire it up...... wow the difference was amazing, it idled at 900 rpm and reved really smoothly.

This morning I put the nose and bonnet back and headed off to fill up with fuel and go to ghe mot centre, I didn't go mad but it drove very well, the only issue I noticed was that the speedo didn't work.

Drama's at the mot, in fact it passed with no issues, they ran the emissions test nit that it needed it thanks to being registered with the pinto lump, I will go through these a bit later to see what they are like.

Not all good news though, when I got back this afternoon I thought I would have a quick look at the speedo sensor and discovered a small amount of fuel, I'm not sure if this is a pressure leak or a split pipe I will have to do some further investigation...... either way the car is now running and I'm one happy bunny..

here is an updated video of the now smooth running Duratec...

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #50 
Another Duratec Tig on the road - well done!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2018 Tiger Owners Club