Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
vji4058

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Any one got a Cat dash not fitted yet that can do a copy of to use as a template ?
vji4058

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
Tried Tiger and Southways but can not get a dash blank . An old 6 one would also be ok if any one got one.
Si_Clark

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
I think I have one I will check when I get home
vji4058

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
Would be good if you have one,
Schrodinger

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
IIRC the dash is just 6mm ply. Can't you just get a large sheet of paper, Xmas wrapping paper comes to mind, and trace around your current dash and then use that template to mark up on ply and cut round?
vji4058

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
I need the template to be more accurate than tracing round the existing padded dash in place, and hoping it will fit ! With wrapping paper ? Never did get my Blue Peter badge.
vji4058

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Hope everyone had a great couple of days and Santa delivered what you wanted.
#This year he came twice to our house. First with all the new switches and lamps for my new dash, then on the next day a large sheet of the material for the actual dash I am making. 
vji4058

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
Sent Si_Clark a message

TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #9 
This really isn't that difficult!

Cut a piece of cardboard to roughly the right shape for the dash and stick it to the car.

Cut a lot of cardboard fingers around 1/2" wide and a few inches long.

Stick these onto the sheet of cardboard using sellotape, so they touch the inner edge of the scuttle and repeat all the way around (see the attached sketch):

template.jpg 

Transfer this template onto another sheet of cardboard and fill in the blanks - AKA dot-to-dot and cut it out.

Test this against the scuttle to note any minor modifications.

Transfer to your chosen dashboard material.

vji4058

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #10 
Not as simple as you make out to do it properly. The existing dash is still in place and is padded all over including the edges laying something over the padded top is not good enough as inner edge of the scuttle might be on a taper so I am making the new dash to fit the shape exactly and planning and cutting all the holes. I need the exact shape/size as the blank, not a bodge and a guess with bits of cut card.

TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #11 
There is no guessing, or bodging, this is a way to make a perfect template for very little cost!

If you're not happy using card and being accurate to within 1mm (1/32"), maybe you could use a 3D laser scanner and then get a blank laser cut from the resultant CAD drawing so it is as near a perfect match as you will ever get?

If you are happy for it to be accurate to within 1/4", then go with a standard Tiger blank [smile]
Gazza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #12 
Unplug and Remove all the instruments and switches from the scuttle and take it off.

Mark around the front edge of the scuttle and use a jig saw to cut it out, then using some ali plate and with a 90 deg edge that will lap onto the front tray over the footwell.

Mark around the ali plate and trim it to size, drill pilot holes through into the scuttle lip before opening the up to the required size for a Riv-Nut in the scuttle and a domed cap head bolt for the ali sheet.

Do the same for the cockpit side making a template if required and trimming it before refitting in the same way as the front of the scuttle so they can be removed or the scuttle can be removed giving access to all the wiring that you normally cannot get too without laying upside down in the cars footwell.

Gazza 20170512_152403.jpg   
20170512_152414.jpg 

20170428_161533.jpg 

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #13 
Thanks for pics etc but I want to make the replacement now over the winter without taking the car/dash apart as want the car for the odd run out and the down time as short as possible. I will have all the holes cut for dials,switches and lamps. It will then just be tidy the dial bezels and re-fit / alter wiring etc.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club