Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
Stargazer

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi All,

I've been turning my attention to getting some fresh air into my bike carbs. I've always run with the original trumpets, but without a hole in the bonnet. Having spoken to Paul at Tiger, I'm convinced that I now need to get some performance air filters and a hole in the bonnet to sort out the fresh air. 

I've invested in some new alloy trumpets, but the only trouble is that I have so little space between the trumpets/mounts and brake master cylinder, that i just don't have room for a backplate and sausage filter.

I know that one route would be to go for floor mounted pedals and that's been on my wish list for a while, but I wondered if there was another solution, i.e. maybe a shorter brake m/c? I could go for socks, but don't know if they are as good as a filter attached to a back plate.

All thoughts (and preferably with pictures) gratefully received.

I've added a photo to show the issue that I have.
Carb and brake mc 1 (1).jpg 

Cheers,

Paul.

hovawart

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
I can't get a photo right now but I got a set of danST trumpets with a "dual flange". Rather than the backplate for the filter being secured in place between the trumpets and the carpets, the trumpets have a mounting halfway along the trumpet. This enabled me to clear the brake master cylinder. It seemed to be something they had come across before. The filter I have on mine is a Pipercross PX500 Air Filter C502D. When I got them about 18 months back the custom modification added £70 to the price.

Hope that helps.
hovawart

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hovawart
I can't get a photo right now but I got a set of danST trumpets with a "dual flange". Rather than the backplate for the filter being secured in place between the trumpets and the carburettors, the trumpets have a mounting halfway along the trumpet. This enabled me to clear the brake master cylinder. It seemed to be something they had come across before. The filter I have on mine is a Pipercross PX500 Air Filter C502D. When I got them about 18 months back the custom modification added £70 to the price.

Hope that helps.
hovawart

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
Multiple reply because I put carpet instead of carburettor!
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:

🤣👌
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
Carpet in your trumpets is never a good thing 😁
Stargazer

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks Abe,

That's really helpful, if you do have a photo when you have a minute, then that would be really helpful and I'll try and keep clear of any carpet in my carbs  [biggrin][biggrin]

All the best,

Paul.

Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer
Thanks Abe,

That's really helpful, if you do have a photo when you have a minute, then that would be really helpful and I'll try and keep clear of any carpet in my carbs  [biggrin][biggrin]

All the best,

Paul.

🤣 Absolutely no problem mate. Underlay also problematic so steer clear of that stuff too.
Stargazer

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
🤣 Absolutely no problem mate. Underlay also problematic so steer clear of that stuff too.

[rofl][rofl]

claycock

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #10 
I've used a MK2 Mondeo master cylinder which is shorter, you also get better brake feel. It's not a straight swap, mounting holes and line connecors are different and you won't need a carpet fitter.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:

Make sure you keep the trumpets nice and shiny, you don't want to end up with a 'mat' finish!

Incidentally Claycock, any more specifics on that Mondeo m/cyl - e.g. make/product code or Mondeo engine size/year etc?

Michael.

Spent it on fast women and loose cars.
claycock

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #12 
Oh now you're asking, I think it was a 4 port non ABS one possibly of a v6. Also you'll need to reduce the push rod length and make sure it's angled correctly relative to the pedal. I made up some angled mount otherwise it sticks and you can't get the brakes on, which could result in you ending up in a deep pile!
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club