Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
gd1981

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi i've just registered on here. I have a problem with severely inadequate braking on my Tiger supercat. It has disk brakes all around from a Sierra and I think the master cylinder is also from a Sierra. When i brake the pedal touches the floor before any braking occurs and then it only just manages to slow the car down. I have bled the brakes time and time again but it makes no difference, I cannot see any leaks anywhere and the level of the fluid is not going down.

I have owned it for nearly 11 years and at first the brakes were decent enough. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
MattJ

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
Do you get any resistance from the pedal at all?

When you bleed the brakes, do you get any air coming out - or is it only fluid?

vji4058

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
I had a similar problem with my cat. I kept bleeding the system but not much better, in the end replaced the master cylinder which solved it. No apparent damage so not sure what went wrong but sorted it. There are several types of sierra ones so make sure the mounting lugs are the same as some are horizontal but mine  are at an angle.
gd1981

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJ
Do you get any resistance from the pedal at all?

When you bleed the brakes, do you get any air coming out - or is it only fluid?

There's only resistance when the pedal nears the floor. It's just fluid when I bleed them.

Thank you for the reply
gd1981

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vji4058
I had a similar problem with my cat. I kept bleeding the system but not much better, in the end replaced the master cylinder which solved it. No apparent damage so not sure what went wrong but sorted it. There are several types of sierra ones so make sure the mounting lugs are the same as some are horizontal but mine  are at an angle.

Did you have clearance issues with the long master cylinder? I'm running webber carbs and when the engine moved back under acceleration the rear carb would hit the front pipe on master cylinder. This was because i had to raise the engine by a few mill using shims, as the carb filters were touching the body/chasis underneath them. I had to remove the pipe from front and plug the outlet and instead use a splitter. Perhaps this is the cause?
TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #6 
You should bleed every outlet from the master cylinder, that may well be your problem area.
vji4058

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
I have no clearance issues as the m/c is on the right and carbs on the left ( pinto ). My engine has a raiser on the left side engine mount to clear the trumpet on the chassis rail.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club