Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #51 
Glad you're back on the spanners, missed your updates! Congrats on the successful move and workshop set-up already, that’s some good progress. Engine looks lovely 🤩👌
Flak_monkey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #52 

Finished the engine assembly this weekend. Degreed the cam and pretty much buttoned everything up.

Made some alternator mounts too for the tiny denso alternator.

Just need to get the flywheel skimmed and then the engine and box are ready to go in.

Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #53 
Love it. 👏
Flak_monkey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #54 

Today I've been on the lathe lightening the flywheel and machining the crank pulley for the trigger wheel.

Flywheel was pretty straightforward. Skimmed 0.5mm off the front to clean it up. Then machined off all the outer weight on the back. Standard stuff really. Overall thickness is 12mm. Also checked balance and all OK.

Dord

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #55 
Love seeing your build

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #56 
I wish you were my neighbour! 🤣
Flak_monkey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #57 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe
I wish you were my neighbour! 🤣

Haha! No one wants that.... I'm a noisy git!

Engine and box are in, finally. Had to chop the extra engine mount off the chassis as it hit the sump. Other than that, simple enough.

Adrianj

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #58 
All starting to come together, what model is your alternator it’s looks half the size of mine?

Ade

Tiger GTA, 2ltr Pinto.
Flak_monkey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #59 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianj
All starting to come together, what model is your alternator it’s looks half the size of mine?

Ade

It's a little Denso one from a Kubota. They are only 40 amp, but work well :) I've used them on previous builds.
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #60 
I read that as nosey git 🤣
Great progress! Threads like this get me out in the workshop 👌
Flak_monkey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #61 

Inlet manifold for the R1 carbs arrived while I was away for work. So that gave me something else to do today. Fitting the filter backplate was fun since the bolts which had to be removed from the carbs had been fitted with loctite. Nothing a gentle application of a blowtorch didn't fix, but a pain nonetheless...

Also did a little more wiring and made some brackets for the radiator.

Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #62 
🤩👌
Flak_monkey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #63 
Lots of faffing around in the last few evenings.

Fitted the drivers seat - had to weld some bits of box section in to suit the mounts on the seats, since they are generic ones. Snug fit, but they go in there....

New starter turned up, so fitted that. A smaller, modern, gear reduction unit which should help crank it over.

Made a pipe up for the water pump to head bypass hose. Need to get some clips, seem to have run out of the correct sized ones. Neater than a bit of hose cable tied to the chassis I guess.

Tidied up the alternator wiring

Messing around with positioning for the header tank. Anyone know how much room there is under the back edge of the nose? Wondering if I can fit it at the front out of the way. Its about 6" tall. If not I'll put it infront of the battery.

Dord

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #64 
Oh my god you’re so neat I wish mine looked half as good

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #65 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dord
Oh my god you’re so neat I wish mine looked half as good

Thanks 😉

Faffed about and plumbed most of the rest of the cooling system, made up a throttle cable and some HT leads up since it's hardly a standard layout....

Take off in the top hose is the highest point of the system so will be connected back to the top of the header tank. The connection in the bottom hose will be the feed from the header tank.

Hopefully won't be far off firing it up this weekend.

Flak_monkey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #66 

Getting slowly closer...

Header tank mounted and plumbed. Will find out if its all water tight tomorrow....

Anyone want to clean my exhaust headers up????!!!! [redface][redface]😋😋

Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #67 
I’m excited and it’s not even my car!! Great job!! 🤩👏
Dord

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #68 
Hope you’re going to put a clip up of the first start up

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #69 

Done a fair bit of stuff this weekend, and eventually got the car fired up. It's running a base map in the megajolt and I haven't touched the carb set up or checked the balance, but it's not running too bad.

Started off throwing fuel every where as the o-rings in the float seats had dried out and were allowing fuel past the seat inserts. Whipped the carbs off and fitted new o-rings. Problem solved.

Ran it at 2-2.5k RPM for 20 mins to bed the cam in and had no over heating, no leaks or any issues, which was some kind of miracle.

Let it cool down a bit and then set the idle speed.

Need to verify the ignition timing and carb mixture and balance and also fit a choke cable. That will have to wait until next weekend now. But overall pretty happy it's not making any horrible noises and didn't blow up 😃

Vids are off my phone, so sound is probably crap

Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #70 
👏 Brilliant! Well done, Sounds great!
Dord

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #71 
Sounds loads better than my first start up well done

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #72 

Drained the oil from the first run and refilled with fresh and a new filter, all looks OK at the minute. Using cheapo 20w50 mineral oil for bed in.

Stripped the carbs off (again) - it would intermittently run on 2 or 3 cylinders, after making certain it wasn't an ignition issue (it wasn't) it was time to pull the carbs. It was always likely to be fuel as cold starting was a nightmare.

Appeared the idle jets were at least partially blocked. Fired up spot on after refitting. Balanced the carbs and tweaked the idle mixture a little. Will see how it starts from cold again tomorrow.

Cooling system seems to cope OK, although it's not building pressure. I put it down to the cheap crappy header tank as there are no leaks. I've already put a genuine Ford cap on it, but it's still not pressurising. The fan and everything seems to work though, so I'll just get a genuine tank at some point.

Next job is clip the fuel hoses at the back, fit a different oil pressure send that doesn't need a load of adaptors, and tidy up a few cables. Then its going to have to wait until we can find some money for the bodywork. And I have a bike to get mSVA'd before that can happen!

Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #73 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flak_monkey

Drained the oil from the first run and refilled with fresh and a new filter, all looks OK at the minute. Using cheapo 20w50 mineral oil for bed in.

Stripped the carbs off (again) - it would intermittently run on 2 or 3 cylinders, after making certain it wasn't an ignition issue (it wasn't) it was time to pull the carbs. It was always likely to be fuel as cold starting was a nightmare.

Appeared the idle jets were at least partially blocked. Fired up spot on after refitting. Balanced the carbs and tweaked the idle mixture a little. Will see how it starts from cold again tomorrow.

Cooling system seems to cope OK, although it's not building pressure. I put it down to the cheap crappy header tank as there are no leaks. I've already put a genuine Ford cap on it, but it's still not pressurising. The fan and everything seems to work though, so I'll just get a genuine tank at some point.

Next job is clip the fuel hoses at the back, fit a different oil pressure send that doesn't need a load of adaptors, and tidy up a few cables. Then its going to have to wait until we can find some money for the bodywork. And I have a bike to get mSVA'd before that can happen!

How did I miss this?!! Sounds great. How’s the build coming along? Where are those headlights from, I like them.
spannered

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #74 
Cracking looking build - I envy your mechanical skills!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club