Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Flak_monkey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
This isn't my first rodeo - built a GTS a few years back with a supercharged Duratec in it, very silly. This time something much simpler, back to basics pinto engined Avon.

Had a 350 mile round trip today to collect the chassis and various other bits. Hopefully have it rolling by the end of tomorrow. Need to sort out the fuel line and brake clips, but most of it's OK.

Think it's a Polo/Lupo steering column? Need to find some bolts for it - anyone know the thread size?

Have also been collecting and working on a few bits recently too.

Sera
Flak_monkey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 

Me and Sophie have had a pretty productive day today. A lot of faffing around to get the suspension on the car and roughly set up. I need to make some extensions for the rack and modify the standard track rods as the Avon is a stupid width at the front.

Also had to make some spacers for the lower rear wishbones - the book dimension of 80mm for their position appears to be incorrect. We've set them as far forward as they will go for now.

Much complexity, be interesting to see how it handles as there is a lot of adjustabilty in the back suspension and none in the front. Time will tell.

Fitted the new 2.9 turn steering rack - had to modify the packers than came with the clamps as even those weren't the right size, nothing is simple. Column all bolted up easily though.

Removed the master cylinder, cleaned it up and painted it as it was rusty having been fitted bare. Re-routed the rear brake line and fitted proper p-clips rather than the plastic snap in clips in a couple of places.

Differential fitted without much drama.

Still a few modifications to do to some of the existing work, but nothing major, mostly tidying up and doing a few things to my own taste.

The next thing is to get the rear brake drums and back plates cleaned up and fitted

MarkCopsey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Looks good, keep this updated.

Tiger moved the handbrake down to the side (into the passenger side) rather than on top - to be honest, that's better as it's always under your arm where it is now - might be worth speaking to them and moving it now during the build as it's a better place in my opinion.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCopsey
Looks good, keep this updated.

Tiger moved the handbrake down to the side (into the passenger side) rather than on top - to be honest, that's better as it's always under your arm where it is now - might be worth speaking to them and moving it now during the build as it's a better place in my opinion.

Thanks. I'll pop round to Tiger and have a word about the handbrake. They are only 10 minutes from me. It's a modification I can do myself if I can get the details.
aza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flak_monkey

Thanks. I'll pop round to Tiger and have a word about the handbrake. They are only 10 minutes from me. It's a modification I can do myself if I can get the details.
aza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
easy mod on the handbrake it's a 50x5mm steel flat bar 4 inches long from the bottom if the tunnel top chassis rail I can tell you measurements for placement off the jig when I go into work (tiger) tomorrow
Flak_monkey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aza
easy mod on the handbrake it's a 50x5mm steel flat bar 4 inches long from the bottom if the tunnel top chassis rail I can tell you measurements for placement off the jig when I go into work (tiger) tomorrow

Great, if you could that would be perfect. A pic would help too :)
aza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flak_monkey

Great, if you could that would be perfect. A pic would help too :)

no problem also if this is still to go for an IVA then if I remember rightly your headlight brackets might need updating I know the ones I put on the chassis now are different and raise the headlights up.
I'll double check for you tomorrow and if so you can order some from tiger
Flak_monkey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aza

no problem also if this is still to go for an IVA then if I remember rightly your headlight brackets might need updating I know the ones I put on the chassis now are different and raise the headlights up.
I'll double check for you tomorrow and if so you can order some from tiger

Thanks, really appreciated. I have some extensions which raise the positions of the headlamps. Removed them as they need repainting.

I'll pop in at the weekend as I need a few bits anyway.
aza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #10 
just seen that in the earlier photos. yeah no worries I dont 'work' on Saturdays but I'll be there working on my chassis out the back in the fabrication workshop till about 1ish and could show you where the handbrake goes I can cut you one up ready if you need one
Flak_monkey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aza
just seen that in the earlier photos. yeah no worries I dont 'work' on Saturdays but I'll be there working on my chassis out the back in the fabrication workshop till about 1ish and could show you where the handbrake goes I can cut you one up ready if you need one

I'll probably pop in Thursday around lunch time. If you could cut a piece of plate for me that would be great. I need to pick up some brake lines and valve etc anyway.

Sera
aza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #12 
no worries I'll do it tomorrow morning and keep it out back for ya
aza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #13 
I did take a picture today for you but it wont upload but if your coming in Thursday (I'm there till 1250) then cab show you but the measurement is 18.5cm from the last tunnel upright
Flak_monkey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #14 

Been a busy few evenings cleaning and repainting parts ready to fit. Also went to see the guys at Tiger to pick up brake lines and rack extensions etc. What a lovely bunch of people.

Some of the parts that I collected with the kit needed a repaint having been sat around for a while. All simple stuff, but worthwhile at this stage.

I also got the new CV boots fitted to the drive shafts, the old ones were shot and these stretch ones were fun to fit with the cone. Really messy job!

This weekend I intend to get the car rolling, although I do need to find a new driveshaft nut for the LH side as both times I have bought one they have been incorrect [frown]

Adrianj

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #15 
Are those engine mounts from Tiger?

Also would there be any chance you could take some detailed pics of the new handbrake mount as I could do with moving mine?

Ade

Tiger GTA, 2ltr Pinto.
Tigger

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #16 
Hi Sera,

I would also appreciate details of the handbrake mod please and the impact it has on the passenger space - if any?

Could you let me know how much higher the headlight brackets are than original, as I will need to sort mine.

Good luck with the build and thanks.

Ian
aza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianj

Also would there be any chance you could take some detailed pics of the new handbrake mount as I could do with moving mine?

Ade

They dont look like tiger engine mounts as we use round tube in the manufacturing
hopefully if it's worked this is the bar attached to the chassis on the passenger side 18.5cm from the last upright in the tunnel on the top rail (sorry pic is not right way up as currently the chassis rolled over )
once wielded in place flatten the weld to allow the fitment of the tunnel pannels

20190319_094840-1024.jpg

Flak_monkey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:

Ade

They arent Tiger ones, but were in an Avon, can always modify them to work, fabrication isn't an issue for me.

I'll do the mount at some point. Assume it uses a different handbrake mechanism to the top mount.
Adrianj

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #19 
Hi Aza,
You have me there, I assume the right of the picture is the front of the chassis and can see the plate but confused as to how handbrake mounts on it? 

I was expecting to see a cutout in the top box section so the handbrake would sit lower or am I missing something.

Tiger GTA, 2ltr Pinto.
TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #20 
Take a look at the picture on this page, that probably helps explain where it is, along with Aza's measurements:

https://www.tigerracing.com/shop/chassis-and-parts/79-avon-or-gta-chassis-frame.html

aza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Hi Aza,
You have me there, I assume the right of the picture is the front of the chassis and can see the plate but confused as to how handbrake mounts on it? 

I was expecting to see a cutout in the top box section so the handbrake would sit lower or am I missing something.

as flax says it's a different mechanism and requires drilling that plate to fit the handle. they are available from tiger
Adrianj

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #22 
Thanks guys that's clearer, does anyone have a photo of the handbrake installed to see where it comes too?

Tiger GTA, 2ltr Pinto.
aza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Thanks guys that's clearer, does anyone have a photo of the handbrake installed to see where it comes too?

I'll take some pics if one of the ones at work still has the panels off tomorrow
TigerEd

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #24 
Hi,
if you're handy with fabrication it is possible to lower the handbrake so that it sits level with the top chassis rail. Stops your elbow hitting it 😆

aza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club