Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
Woody_7

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi guys! has anyone fitted an automatic gearbox in a tiger, thinking of going down this route - not by choice I must add , was thinking of MX5 engine and auto box any ideas? Many thanks

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
Pinto & autobox maybe or blacktop & autobox
Woody_7

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Have thought about pinto but very heavy, I fancy an mx5 because it’s lighter, but the box is large so would make the the inside even smaller, just wonder if its been done before? and if it’s worth all the effort? Would it spoil the car? but I don’t have a choice if I want to keep the car.
Thanks anyway for your suggestion.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
I don’t know anyone Who has fitted an auto. As you say the transmission will require mods to the tunnel. Have you tried the Locost builder forum or Tiger ?.

Alec

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Also check the Robin Hood website. I have seen a couple done but cannot remember the exact models but I do believe one was a Robin Hood. The MX5 is not a bad choice as you say the box is big. There is an Auto Transmission place in Wolverhampton that did reconditioned boxes and rebuilds for all sorts of cars so might be worth googling around and making a few calls. There are a few autoboxed Ford ka's maybe that might work/ I haven't seen many 4age autos around but I have seen a few later auto Corolla's maybe that might might work.

Other option would be motor bike engine and sequential box just a thought!! Please let us know if you find anything. Also try RAW engineering they are very helpful [smile]
Woody_7

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks for your ideas. It does seem to be unusual, but who would want to fit an auto by choice probably no one. The bike engine with sequential box is what I already have but with hand clutch control but unfortunately my hand is just not strong enough now. Unless I can sell the bike engine set up the automatic is a non starter, so maybe best just to try and sell the complete car and build from scratch. a having done some more research the mx5 engine with auto seems to be the way to go.
There are not many rear wheel drive cars around now - I just did not want to spend loads and end up with a car that does not feel right; also I assume that the mx5 box will need a ECU? I just wish that there was someone out there who had done a conversion and can say whether it is worth all the effort or is best just to forget the whole thing!
thanks again for all your ideas - they’re much appreciated 👍

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Try asking on https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/
I'm sure somebody on there could help

Woody_7

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks for the link 👍

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #9 
Hi Lawrence,

Don't give up yet as there a few disabled drivers that have kit cars and although you can't track them down just yet It's still worth investigating and speaking to a few companies.

For example I just did this quick search and found out that there is a Sylva Stryker with a xflow & autobox. some people are using a BMW inline six & autobox even Ford Focus running gear with autobox there is a V8 Seven with an autobox with pictures

Here is the link make sure you read through both pages. As for the MX5 surely early autos didn't have an ecu??

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=30&t=377821

Woody_7

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #10 
Thanks again 👍

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #11 
One we last thought, have you considered an electrical conversion.
Alec.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by althecate1
One we last thought, have you considered an electrical conversion.
Alec.

Has anyone done this yet? I’ve been exploring this online, not sure if it’s practical because of all the batteries needed, not sure where they’d all go in such a tiny car.
...then again if we all followed the ‘what’s practical’ route, we wouldn’t own kit cars 😁
Woody_7

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #13 
Hi! think the cost will outway even trying , but good idea though 🙂

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_7
Hi! think the cost will outway even trying , but good idea though 🙂

Oh it’s easy, you only need two black and decker drills bolted to the rear wheels 🤣
Schrodinger

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #15 
Around about 2002-3 there was an electric Tiger around, I can't remember much about it other than it had a short range (about 100 miles) and was powered by a load of lead/acid batteries in the engine bay.
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger
Around about 2002-3 there was an electric Tiger around, I can't remember much about it other than it had a short range (about 100 miles) and was powered by a load of lead/acid batteries in the engine bay.

Wow a long time ago to be doing that sort of conversion!
Schrodinger

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe

Wow a long time ago to be doing that sort of conversion!

IIRC there was an article about it in Kit Car Mag. and was made by a company wanting to sell the kit not an individual, can't say I saw any more though.

althecate1

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #18 
One of the rust some years ago was a Westfield in Barbados, http://www.fromthedrivingseat.com/megawatt-1.html
Alec

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by althecate1
One of the rust some years ago was a Westfield in Barbados, http://www.fromthedrivingseat.com/megawatt-1.html
Alec

Nice find!! A video... man that thing is quick!

althecate1

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #20 
That should have read, one of the first. It’s a good article and got me thinking when I first read it. But know loads of companies are doing silly priced classic conversions. Never looked at the current battery options or DIY costs Though.
alec

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #21 
I'm not sure if you will have access to this but you might find it of use
https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/34/viewthread.php?tid=216800

Woody_7

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #22 
Thanks guys 
but have given up and sold the car 😪

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #23 
What a shame I hope you got an auto to replace it with and that your happy with your choice
Woody_7

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #24 
Thanks 👍

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #25 
Coincidentally there is a photo of that old electric Tiger in this months (July 2020) issue of Complete Kit Car. No article though.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club