Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
theoriginalmrp

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi guys. 

I'm pleased to say I think I've resolved my cooling issues, and my S6 passed its mot today with no advisories.

However I have a weird charging issue... I think... 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the battery light is illuminated on tick over after starting, and you rev it up and the light goes out, that means it's charging yeah?

Its the voltmeter I'm concerned with... 

On first startup from cold, its firmly on about 13.5 - 14v with no accessories on.
Which I would have thought is about normal. 

However the voltmeter then slowly goes down while you are driving, I did about 30 miles today, and when I stopped at one point,  it was showing 11.5v, but the cooling fan was running.

But the battery light remained off.. 

2 questions...

How accurate is the gauge ? 
And why would it ever be on 11.5v on idle without the battery light being on? Would you say this is a gauge issue?

Thanks fellas... 
TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #2 
The charge warning light is related to the current being generated by the alternator and not specifically the voltage.  As the revs on the alternator drop, the exciter circuit within the alternator hasn't got enough current being generated to cause it to work properly and hence the warning lamp lights.

The easiest way to confirm whether it is the gauge or not is to get a digital multimeter and connect it from the battery positive terminal to an earth point whilst the engine is running.

If the gauge shows a different value to the multimeter then check all the gauge terminals are connected correctly before dismissing it as being faulty.
theoriginalmrp

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #3 
This turned out to be just connections at the alternator plug. However, I now have a new issue... See my new post...
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club