Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
gez

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
hy again. can air ride be fitted to a cat e1?
Gerry

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
Why ? My Cat too low already ! In my village there is talk about speed bumps, if they do will never out to the main road [confused]
gez

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
that's the point, i want to be able to lift not lower it

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
So you want to pimp your ride !![biggrin]
gez

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
lol sort of... i can't get off my drive without bottoming . there are many speed bumps in my area. just looking for a solution. would be nice to just press a button and lift the car out of trouble

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
The Cat is very low, had the same a few years back when I had a passenger in the car, went into a car park and just got over the hump and got stuck as we came back down.
After knocking the sump plug and dumping the oil on a very bumpy road I have done the mod of raising the front end by lowering the hub section down the tube to the end. This is clamped on to the tube. The camber etc needs to be adjusted again. My wings ended up further forward as the brackets bolt to the the wings welded to those tubes.
Looking to make a better fit of the front wings this year .
Around here most of the humps are separate ones each side of the road so can get through by going down the centre of them with care.
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Can’t see why not! Will take some thinking and engineering but I’m sure it’s doable.
overdriver

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 

As the approach road to the MOT station has humps that put the Maginot Line to shame, I always get my mechanic to drive the Tiger to its test – thereby abdicating responsibility for any damage.

Never really thought about air-ride. The only ‘knowledge’ I have of it comes from watching ‘Fast & Loud’ and their vehicles only appear to have to either go in a straight line or do doughnuts!

However, as it is only the front of the Tiger that really needs lifting, I wonder whether it would be possible to modify one of the kits as fitted to Harley Davidsons as the compressor and components are suitably compact. Weight might be an issue as a Harley plus rider is unlikely to top c. 400 kilos whereas a Cat is generally in the region of 670 kilos (unladen).

Just a thought and doubtless there are many more issues to consider. Still finding it hard to think of air-ride and a ‘7’ derivative in the same sentence though!

Michael.

Spent it on fast women and loose cars.
gez

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #9 
Thanks guys for your interest and responses. it is clearly an issue for all of us and your replies are thought provoking. I agree that air ride on a tiger sounds ridiculous, but there has to be a solution!!!!! i am looking at air shocks and like the Harley idea
Gerry

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #10 
The Cat uses inboard front suspension and has chassis rails internally that are above the front suspension arms with a gap of only around 1/2" or so between the arm and chassis under normal compression.

Therefore, whilst it sounds like a good idea being able to raise the height, I doubt you'll be able to make much of a difference (maybe up to around 3/4") before the arm is touching the chassis rail.
riber3

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #11 
Same for  me and many of us in fact I wonder how much extra fuel we use doing alternative routes to avoid them!! Maybe Formula One air jacks fitted under the chassis rails or how about a Hovercraft conversion!!

May need to call Q at MI5 for his help!! If its good enough for James Bond then its good enough for us!!. Joking aside even I have done the shortened sump conversion and a protective guard but still get caught out everyone now and then which is really frustrating!!!
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #12 
Maybe more power is needed...Look at this sump clearance!....🤩

Attached Images
jpeg B1864436-42CE-4A4E-A933-C7D8A2AFEF14.jpeg (282.36 KB, 5 views)

riber3

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #13 
I like your thinking lol!![biggrin]
gez

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #14 
some great amusing responses, thanks for the entertainment.It;s clearly an issue for all tiger owners. it;s not just speed bumps, it's potholes as well. i'm now thinking, the only gption is to get as much height from the coil overs as i can and invest in larger tyres

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #15 
17" wheels may help a bit.
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #16 
Stop looking gents, I’ve found the perfect solution! Handling may be a tad off, but what a small price to pay for all that clearance 🤪

Attached Images
jpeg CBF486AB-C221-4630-A7DE-F492E9F7480F.jpeg (122.67 KB, 8 views)

vji4058

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #17 
I think 17"s will then give a harsher ride in my opinion.
riber3

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vji4058
I think 17"s will then give a harsher ride in my opinion.
it would need some mods too handling & brakes etc
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club