Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
TUL214

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #1 
Gents,

NTDWM but there is a Cortina axle for sale on Locostbuilders with the 4.1-1 diff.

Seems cheap enough at £40 to have as a spare?
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=125395
jdominicd

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #2 
Thanks Mark
John
jdominicd

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #3 
Just got the axle back at the house looks good and will keep it as a spare.
Cheers
John
TUL214

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #4 
John,

Get the CWP swapped over. I would have thought it would get you better acceleration for sprinting.

BTW, I got my seats in today. Just need to put the pads on and I will post some pics.
catman

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #5 
thats why i wanted the axle , but as im having a new gearbox its not that important.

Ed
jdominicd

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #6 
Ed
Good luck with the new gearbox. Your'e going to need it for next season I think you will be fastening that duck onto your roll cage before you know it

Mark have got mine fitted although sticking the pads on with evostick was a pain have started to restick them with sikaflex.
Might be worth you doing it with that instead.
The 50mm box section at the back made all the deifference and the runners are perfect for both myself and fiona. The passenger side had to be raised by an extra 20mm so the heights are the same. Worked perfectly for Cadwell.
Cheers
John

jdominicd

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #7 
Mark 
How difficult is it to swap over the CWP ( what is it anyway) I presume we are talking about the gears inside the diff? I have not had a diff apart before.  I presume there will be 3 cogs one coming in and then the two half shafts which I presume have a cog at the end 90 deg from the drive shaft, just guessing, can I keep the existing half shafts or do I need to fit the new ones? Do I need to buy new seals etc? Good winter project.
BTW seat photos on the for sale/wants seats thread.

Cheers
John
TUL214

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #8 
John,

CWP is Crown Wheel & Pinion. The crown wheel is the big gear shown in the pics and the pinion is the gear that spins in the nose of the diff, in line with with the prop....2nd pic.

I think that the pinion gear is the same ratio in the 3.75 and 4.1 BUT you should always use matched cwp so you will need to swap both out of the spare axle.

You will need to;
  • take the axle out of the car...easier to pull the halfshafts out on the car and make sure you mark left and right
  • remove the back plate
  • carefully mark all parts so they go back in the correct place
  • undo the bearing caps
  • prise out the diff/cw
  • swap the cw
  • undo the pinion nut
  • pull off the prop flange
  • pull out the pinion gear
  • swap over the pinion gear with a new bearing and crush tube
  • put it all together.
It is now when it gets difficult. The diff will now be either be v.tight or be v.slack and you need to set the 'back lash' by pulling everything apart again and shimming the gears.

To do the job properly you need various measuring devices to set the backlash on the diff but in my opinion, if you have a bit of technical ability, you can do it by feel.

There are plenty of experts on the net that can give you the correct clearences or you could talk to Tom at Fostek.

It sounds complicated but once you get the thing apart it will all make sense!

You will be able to re use the existing half shafts but make sure you put them back in the sides they came from...they twist and don't like being twisted back.

I would replace the pinion bearing and crush tube because that is what gives you the correct amount of resistance on the pinion gear.

You sould not need to replace the shaft bearings if they are ok.

Oh and you will need to get rid of the stinking diff oil. It's like rotten eggs!

Hope this helps?

Mark.

Attached Images
jpeg HPIM4182.JPG (136.05 KB, 24 views)
jpeg Pinion.JPG (46.87 KB, 22 views)

jdominicd

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #9 
Glad I asked
Thanks for the pictures. Will wait to do it for a while, Have some cosmetic things to do on the car first. ( yes I'm a chicken)
Will probably neeed to get some more advice from you before I start
Cheers
John

catman

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #10 
John, im getting paul at PRP to do the backlash on mine, might be worth getting a quote.

Ed
TUL214

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #11 

Ed,

Whats the going rate to get the diff set up?

John, not the correct axle but it makes good reading;
http://www.vernco.com/rearaxle5/

jdominicd

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #12 
Mark
Just had a thought the new axle is a cortina one so thought why dont i unbolt the old one and bolt the new one straight in!!! will have to look to see if it is the same then there is no need to take everything out!!!

TUL214

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #13 
John,

Yes that is a good point. As long as the brackets are the same as the Tiger ones. If not just grind the old ones off and get some new brackets welded on.
catman

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #14 
Mark, i was quoted for a few bits at once,

Axle stuff......... Fit LSD set up Backlash, service axle, install on the car

Gearbox stuff.... Remove gearbox, fit new ring gear replace Type 9 ratios and install in the car with an alloy bell housing .

£400-500

now this might seem expensive but i think that is not too bad, as i know it will be spot on as he is very good

Ed
daveandwendsupersix

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #15 
Okay guys
if I get bored this winter and say fancied  doing a service/ recon job on the axle of the six, is it too difficult to do for me( can enlist my dad and brother who are very technicaly minded) and is it expensive.

Dave
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club