Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
Ettienne

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Gents

Has anyone run a set of 225/50/15 tyres on a tiger (Road tyres)? Been advised that it would give me a bit more clearance from the road and better grip for normal road use? Is there any modification required for the body work clearances.
As always, your advice is appreciated.

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #2 
Swapping 205's for 225's will nominally move the inner and outer edges of the tyres out from the centre line of the wheel by 10mm.

They might be a tight squeeze under the front mudguards, but shouldn't affect any suspension components, though you may need to adjust front steering stops if they do catch the wishbones on full lock.

With regards to the rear, the inner edges should be OK, but the outer may well stick out beyond the bodywork. This is dependent upon your current wheel offset and the bodywork position. Wheels sticking out past the bodywork is an MOT failure, so you would need to extend the arches in some way in this scenario.

If you want to increase ride height beyond that offered by the suspension adjustments, you could always keep the same width tyres and up the profile to 55 or 60.

Bear in mind, adjusting any of the dimensions may well put the speedometer outside the tolerances of accuracy as a bigger circumference will mean you travel further per wheel revolution and mean your speedometer under reads the true speed.
TigerEd

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Hi, my question would be, is there the choice of tyres if you go to 225 and would you notice any improvement in grip? For road use 225 tyres on a small lightweight car are going to take some heating up. I dropped from 205 to 195 purely because of the ease and price of softer compound tyres. In saying all of that bigger tyres do look better 😆
bjm305

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
Dry weather bigger wider tyres more grip. Wet...... ummm think the smaller thinner would be better. Think I'm on 205 50 15 the thicker tyre definitely helps clearance and ride compared too a low profile tyre.. tiger super six all fits fine

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for all the replies! I will be double checking the clearance with the 205 set fitted and I will be staying on the 205/50/15 just for the IVA and then swap to the 225/50/15 after. With your combined wisdom, it sounds like it will fairly straight forward. Thanks

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
I run a 235 Khumo or 245 Avon ZZS on the rear and a 215 Khumo or Avon ZZS on the front using Image split rim wheels to give me the required offset needed.

The rear wheels are 8" x 13" and the front is 7" x 13"

It isnt a cheap option for the wheels and tyres.

LiveMessage_2019-11-05-23-17-05.jpg 

Gazza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
I meant to mention in the post above that the Image Wheels on my Tiger are for sale if anyone is interested.

I have 2 sets of Split Rim Wheels for the car and have been using the Image Wheels for the wet weather tyres as they are heavier than the Force Racing Wheels.

The wheels above have been finished with brushed ali rims and Gold Anodised Centre with a Kawasaki Green line around the outside rims.

Contact me if interested.

Gazza

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club