Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
Myles

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,

Just got my first Tiger, a Supercat with a 2.0 (1994) Zetec with bike carbs.

Goes great, but heating / cooling issues.

The expansion tank was leaking at the cap, told it needed a new one, fitted that, still not correct.

Checked the thermostat - missing so ordered a 88 deg one.

The fan cuts on (need to check the direction).

After fitting the new expansion tank it seemed to tank more water than I thought.

No leaks that I can see, but it doesn’t seem correct.
The small hose from the thermostat housing flows into the expansion tank.

How do I test if the water pump is working.

It looks like an air lock to me??

Head gasket seems ok.

The car seems to sit at about 90 deg when hot but water is leaking from the expansion tank (new tank and cap)

Any advice.
vji4058

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
Lots of thoughts about stat or not. Personally never run one with my pinto Cats . Certainly with my pinto if you do any thing that means adding water after any work the system will need a good bleed. I have a small screw in the rad header that I bleed from. 
Myles

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Hi, can you share with me how you fitted the bleed screw?

Is it a self taper drilled into the top of the radiator with an o-ring to seal?
TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #4 

Some people just drill a hole and use a self tapping screw with a fibre washer.  This works, but when I had a custom made radiator, I had a nut welded into the top corner which gives a bit more purchase than a self tapping screw.

Last year I replaced my entire cooling system with silicone hoses and new aluminium pipes and used a banjo connector into the bleed screw hole so my system now self bleeds back to the header tank.

For the cooling circuit and background information, take a look here:

http://www.toyne.org.uk/docs-cooling.html

One thing I can't see mentioned on that page is that the thermostat has a small ball bearing installed to help with bleeding the system.  I found it wasn't too effective, so I took it out leaving a small hole, and then just made sure the thermistat was installed with the hole towards the top.
vji4058

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles
Hi, can you share with me how you fitted the bleed screw?

Is it a self taper drilled into the top of the radiator with an o-ring to seal?

Simple as that, been like this since built in 2000 with no problems. On my car that is the highest point. When bleeding I also squeeze the hoses to drive out the air.
JT

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
Hi myles
Join the club i too have overheating issues with my 2.0ltr pinto. I bought mine recently off a chap who had not started it for 7 plus years. I found with mine lots of what seemed to be like small pebbles in the rad, which seem to be in fact some sort of crystal like deposit i can only assume was the old coolant breaking down. I removed the water pump to find the steel impeller was partly rusted away. Ive now fitted a new pump and have been flushing the system, prior to fitting a new ally rad. The new rad had a bleed screw. But for now ive been using an inline temp gauge sender adapter fitted into the top hose. I simply remove the dummy sender with the header tank full and lid off until water bleeds out the top.
Going to fit the new rad tonight.
I checked mine with temp gun i had. The block was 90 the rad was in the high 60's suggesting to me blocked rad. Hopefully new rad sorts it.
I'm also planning on fitting a fan override switch so i can flick the fan on early if i get stuck in traffic on a hot day.
Myles

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
I think I have fixed mine thanks for the help.
Drilled a vent hole on the radiator - seems to allow it to vent
vji4058

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles
I think I have fixed mine thanks for the help.
Drilled a vent hole on the radiator - seems to allow it to vent

[thumb][thumb][thumb]
Navigiter

Forum Donor 2017
Reply with quote  #9 
Was the self bleed pipe from the radiator "T"- connected to the thermostat 8mm bleed pipe into the header tank or was a separate inlet into the header tank created?  The radiators now supplied by Tiger have a small bleed screw fitted.

Navigiter 
TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #10 
The bleed is tee'd into the one from the top of the thermostat housing, then to the top inlet of the header tank.
Navigiter

Forum Donor 2017
Reply with quote  #11 
Thank you for the advice, I'll have a look at the bleed screw fitting tomorrow and see what can be done.

Navigitor. 
claycock

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #12 
some useful info here. 
http://www.toyne.org.uk/docs-cooling.html

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club